What are the foundations for laying down successful projects? What tasks and activities must be done before, during and after a project to ensure success?
The following traits should be inherent in any wannabe successful project:
- Clear Objectives – The most successful projects have clearly defined objectives from the outset.
- A Good Project Plan – A carefully thought-out plan serves two purposes. First, it allows everyone involved to understand and perform their part in the project. It shows who is responsible for what and estimates how much money, people, equipment and time will be required to complete the project. Second, it serves as a monitoring tool, allowing you to take early action if things go wrong.
- Communication – Your project is a collaborative effort between all of the individuals and organizations involved. You all need to work together to maintain effective and continual communication between the parties.
- A Controlled Scope – Numerous issues will come up throughout your project, and not all of them will contribute to your overall objectives. It is important to stay focused on your priorities, with little wasted time or attention.
- Stakeholder Support – Projects typically involve several stakeholders, who invest time and resources in the project. It is important to maintain stakeholder support throughout the project, so the project team can meet its objectives.
How many of these characteristics does your project have? How can you improve it?